Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Wendy and Lucy... um, really?


I'm utterly flabbergasted by this movie's Rotten Tomatoes' rating (check it out at http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wendy_and_lucy/). Sure, Michelle Williams is frickin' wonderful, just like she always is. Those big limpid brown eyes and her subtly expressive face melt your heart as you contemplate the life of a young, homeless woman with no prospects and a dwindling handful of money. But I was warned: our friend Jay said, "great movie... if you don't mind that NOTHING HAPPENS." Wow, I don't know how to add to that. This movie can pretty much be summed up as follows:
- Wendy walks in the Oregon countryside
- Wendy walks in a depressed Oregon city
- Wendy sleeps in her car
- Wendy's car breaks down
- Wendy shoplifts dog food for her dog, Lucy
- Wendy gets arrested
- Wendy loses Lucy
- Wendy walks some more
- Wendy goes to a gas station bathroom a few times
- Wendy's eyes look all sad and victimized
- Wendy finds out her car will cost too much to fix
- Wendy finds her dog but... oh no, wait, I'm not going to give away the big ending (hint: it's not big)

In fact, I just realized that my synopsis is making this movie sound way more exciting than it really is. Maybe I'm just greedy, but dang if this movie isn't a steaming pile of blegh. I needed a Star Trek palette cleanser just to get my blood flowing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment